Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Afraid by Jack Kilborn

Cannonball Read III: Book #7/52
Published: 2009
Pages: 372
Genre: Horror

Well, I'm glad I read Afraid after Endurance, because otherwise I don't think I would have bothered. This one was definitely not as good as Endurance.

Afraid is about a small town called Safe Haven (oh, the irony) that is being destroyed by a group of five super soldiers for an unknown reason. I thought it was good until we found out they were former serial killers or death row inmates with some kind of chips in their head (don't worry, we find that out very early, so it's not a spoiler). I don't know why, but I probably would have liked it better if they were just normal men and not super strong half computers. That's probably why I liked Endurance better. To me, real crazy people are way more scary.

I did think the townspeople were well written. So far, I like Kilborn's characters. He doesn't just make them all throw away characters to be murdered. People die, but they're people you care about.

I just started Trapped, also by Jack Kilborn. Hopefully, I'll like it better than Afraid. If not, I don't know if I'm going to be picking up any more of his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment