Sunday, September 18, 2011

Wake by Lisa McMann (CBR-III #31)

Cannonball Read III: Book #31/52
Published: 2008
Pages: 224 (13,609 total pages so far)
Genre: YA/Supernatural

Janie can see other people's dreams. That's pretty much the plot. If she's in the same room as someone dreaming, she kind of blacks out and enters enter their dream. This makes sleepovers kind of hard.

I wasn't a huge fan of this book. The premise sounded promising, but ultimately it let me down. It just wasn't interesting enough. Most of the book was the same thing: Someone falls asleep, Janie sees their dream, blah, blah, repeat.

They did throw in a love interest, which wasn't actually that nauseating for a YA novel. It was a little over dramatic (pretty accurate for most teens though), but luckily the most annoying thing about Cabel was his name.

**SPOILER**

The ending was eye-roll inducing too. Cabel is actually working undercover with the cops and they want Janie to use her dream watching skills to help them apprehend criminals. I have a HUGE problem with this.

First of all, who the heck dreams real life past events? I sure don't. Even if someone does, how can you use that as police evidence? How do they know what is fact and what is simply your brain making up stuff?

**END SPOILER**

The dreams really annoyed me. Apparently, everyone dreams every time they fall asleep. Personally, I dream a LOT, but not every time I sleep. Also, I know you have to enter into REM sleep to dream, which takes a little while. These kids are falling asleep in class and within seconds are dreaming. I was practically a professional at sleeping through high school, and I rarely dreamed there because you only get 15 minutes or so of sleep at a time and it's not a deep sleep.

Like I mentioned in the spoiler paragraph (this itself isn't a spoiler), they all also dream real life past events. EVERY TIME. I don't think I've ever dreamed real events that happened, unless they were drastically changed to be all weird and dream-like.

For instance, once I was mad at this guy so I dreamed that he turned into a baby tiger and I stomped on him. Yeah, no one dreams like that in this book. It's all straight-up, factual history dreams.

Also, the book was very choppy with almost all simple sentences or sentence fragments. I don't think I'm going to bother with the other books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment