Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fully Loaded by Blake Crouch (CBR-IV #13)

Cannonball Read IV: Book #13/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 230
Genre: Thriller/Short Story 


     Blake Crouch is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. His books are great thrillers and he's always offering free/reduced price e-books (not to mention his e-books are generally less than $5 regular price). Previously, these short stories were only available separately, but now they're offered in this short story collection.


     Since there are ten separate stores in this collection, I'll just comment on my favorite/least favorite:

-The Meteorologist was probably my least favorite. It's not that it wasn't any good, but it wasn't really a thriller. It was about a guy who chases extreme weather conditions in his RV. It wasn't even as exciting as the plot sounds. It was mostly about him and a woman he meets.

-Serial was probably my favorite. I've read it before (it was co-written by J.A. Konrath and was included in one of his collections) and it really plays to both Konrath's and Crouch's strengths. Crouch is more of a thriller writer while Konrath knows how to bring on more of the horror aspects. Serial follows what happens when two serial killers target each other. It's an insanely good read.

-Shining Rock was also one that stuck out to me. A couple goes camping in the woods when a weird guy shows up. I won't give anything away, but some interesting things are revealed that completely flip who you want to make it off that mountain alive.

     I thought it was a great book! I look forward to reading more by Blake Crouch in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend reading Run. It was a true page-turner with one of the most affecting endings! The Andrew Z trilogy is pretty horrific but good if you can handle it (think along the lines of Saw I think). The Jack Daniels series is also good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read Run last month and reviewed it. I LOVED it. I'll definitely have to check out those other series you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete