Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hollowmen by Amanda Hocking (CBR-IV #32)

Cannonball Read IV: Book #32/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 194
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian/Zombie



***May contain spoilers to previous books in the series**


In the sequel to Hollowland, we fast forward six months from where the previous novel ended. Remy has spent the last six months being prodded and tested by doctors due to her immunity to the zombie virus. She gets a chance to escape when the building is breached by a zombie hoard and heads out in search of her brother, yet again.


I liked this book as well, although I think it had a few more flaws than the previous one. For one, I don't understand why Remy was experimented on so viciously. I know they were trying to find a cure for the virus, but I have a hard time believing that such a well equipped military quarantine didn't have any anesthesia or anything to use on her during surgeries. They did explain that they were saving their stock of painkillers since it was all they had, but I still don't understand why they couldn't have used some on the poor girl. 


Also, the characters weren't as well written. I liked Lazlo and Blue and Harlow in Hollowland. I can tell you a little about their characters. In Hollowmen, I barely remember any of the supporting characters besides one of the evil doctors who escapes with them (and don't get me started on Remy's feeling sorry and apologizing TO HIM eventually). The few military men and women who she traveled with all sort of blurred together. When Remy started forming a relationship with one of them, I was surprised because I thought he was a middle aged guy for some reason. 


I did like the realism that was present again. Remy doesn't magically meet up with everyone she lost. She doesn't find her long lost love. She starts a new relationship because that's what anyone would do in such a hopeless situation. There is no happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment