Saturday, August 17, 2013

Room 3 by Jonathan D. Allen (CBR-V #33)

Cannonball Read V: Book #33/52
Published: 2012
Pages: ebook
Genre: Scifi


Kelli Foster is living a regular small-town life as a bartender when she gets abducted one night from the street. She is taken to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and held prisoner in a room with another girl. They  are occasionally taken to the mysterious "Room 3" where they are given a drug to make them vividly hallucinate. For some reason, these hallucinations and the puzzles within are very important to the people who kidnapped Kelli. 

Room 3 is written in a journal format from Kelli's point of view. She begins each entry with her current circumstances (running from someone) and then writes down things she remembers from her captivity. Eventually, the two stories intertwine with each other and we find out why Kelli is running and who her companion is. I love the format because it allows the reader to slowly piece things together. 

I also loved the characters and Jonathan D. Allen really has a skill making his characters come to life. Kelli was a fighter and she never gave up on trying to escape. She had two roommates at different times and they were both great characters as well. I actually didn't notice until after I finished the book that the author is male - his female characters are great!


The reason I only gave the book three stars is because of the ending. I got some hints earlier on that it may be heading into the supernatural/sci-fi direction, but I was in no way prepared for that ending. It was so out in left field that it almost soured everything I had already read. However, I think it wouldn't have been nearly as bad if I wasn't expecting a more realistic ending. The reviews I read warned towards an unexpected ending, but I still wasn't prepared for sci-fi. It reminded me a little of the TV show Lost - the ending sucked, but the journey to get there was amazing and worth re-watching (or re-reading in this case). 

No comments:

Post a Comment