Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cover by Jack Ketchum


This book was really slow, especially for a Jack Ketchum book. The characters were boring to the point that I didn't really care if they died or not. Half the time I'd forget them until he mentioned their name and I'd have to backtrack to remember who they were. That's not good when there is only a handful of characters in the book

It's premise is an ex- Vietnam vet went nuts from PTSD and is living in the woods since he had some problems easing back into society after the war. His wife and son left him and all he has is his dog.

Then we get the most boring group of campers ever. They are all professional adults, when I was expecting a bunch of teens or college kids after reading the back of the book. Some guy is there with his mistress and his wife and a photographer and...I just don't really care. I just couldn't bring myself to give a damn about any of these characters. I don't even know why they were camping.

The vet was an interesting guy, but unfortunately most of the book seemed to be focused on the campers. I'd have liked to see more of his flashbacks to the war and more inside of his head.

All in all, probably my least favorite Ketchum book. It had potential, but didn't deliver to my expectations.

2/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment