Saturday, October 29, 2011

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (CBR-III #41)


Cannonball Read III: Book #41/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 304 (16,657 total pages so far)
Genre: Scifi

I didn't really expect much from this book. I figured it would be kind of cheesy and reminiscent of Terminator. Add a little bit of Transformers into the mix and I wasn't exactly wrong. However, I did enjoy it much more than I thought I would.

The story takes place sometime in the future where robots and computers are even more commonplace than they are now. Most houses have domestic robots that can wander around the cities and run errands. Then a scientist creates a computer program named Archos who becomes too intelligent and eventually programs all of the robots in the world to turn on humans. The book spans over 2 years showing how the humans fight this war against machine.

This book was definitely heavy on action and light on character development, but I wasn't expecting an intelligent piece of classic literature with a title like Robopocalypse. It's written in a "found footage" type of narrative. Chapters are transcriptions from security cameras and interviews or copies of various documents.

It's a good, quick read for a rainy day if you're interested in the genre. I heard it's going to be turned into a movie even though it was just published this past summer. It might be worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment