Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (CBR-IV #9)

Cannonball Read IV: Book #9/52
Published: 2008
Pages: 496 
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian


The Knife of Never Letting Go is the first book in Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy. It's gotten rave reviews, so I decided to check it out. I'm so glad I gave it a chance because I loved it! 


Todd Hewitt lives in a town called Prentisstown in New World. In New World, only men are left after a disease killed all the women and caused everyone to be able to read everyone else's thoughts (or "noise"). Or so Todd is taught. He's the youngest male left in Prentisstown and his mother left him a book with the truth in it. A month before Todd becomes a man (his 13th birthday), his two caretakers send him out of town with a map and his mother's book to learn the truth. 


The plot description really doesn't do this book justice. I've had it on my to-read list for a while, but the blurbs about it just didn't excite me enough to pick it up, despite the good reviews. It's a very intricately woven story that reveals itself better if you don't know much about it. I went in pretty much blind and was really surprised at a lot of what happened. 


Even though the main characters were 12/13 years old, this book is definitely for older teens/adults. There is no romance (it's about time we had a decent YA book without a romance), but there is plenty of violence. 


One suggestion though: Have the second book on hand. This one ends on a HUGE cliffhanger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment