Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Run by Blake Crouch (CBR-IV #8)

Cannonball Read IV: Book #8/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 284 
Genre: Horror/Thriller


I loved Blake Crouch's collaborative efforts with J.A. Konrath (aka Jack Kilborn) and I've read a few of Konrath/Kilborn's solo works, so when I saw that Run was free on the Kindle for a limited time I decided to pick it up. I love that these two authors independently publish these ebooks, so their books sell for around $2.99 apiece (and frequently show up for free!). It's great marketing on their part and obviously has worked out well for them since they seem to sell a ton of ebooks. They definitely got me hooked and I keep buying more!


Run follows the Colclough family as the country is being swept by an alarming amount of mass murders. The action begins almost immediately as Jack hears his name and address announced on the radio as a soon-to-be victim of the widespread violence. He then gathers his wife, Dee, and his two kids, Naomi and Cole, into their SUV. The rest of the book is non-stop action as the family is on the run from the crazy people who want to kill everyone who hasn't gone crazy. 


I liked the characters. They were well-written and startlingly real. Jack and Dee have a strained marriage, Naomi is dealing with the normal issues of being a young teen as well as the problem of running from people trying to kill her, and Cole is possibly one of them (the crazies). The family has to deal with trying to reconnect while facing possibly the most stressful situation I can imagine. 

Overall, I will definitely be adding more of Crouch's novels to my to-read list. He's great at these suspenseful thrillers and I loved the originality of this book (a end-of-civilization book with no zombies or nuclear bomb wastelands!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment