Monday, February 18, 2013

The List by J.A. Konrath (CBR-V #8)

Cannonball Read V: Book #8/52
Published: 2009
Pages: 311
Genre: Thriller



2 stars: Meh. Struggled to get through it/wasn't for me.

J.A. Konrath has written some of my favorite thrillers (Endurance, Trapped, Serial with Blake Crouch), but I've come to the conclusion that I only like his novels that he's written under his pseudonym Jack Kilborn (the above three mentioned books were all written under the pseudonym). 

The List starts out with a promising plot: There are ten people who have mysterious numbers tattooed on the bottom of their feet. They've always had them, but none have any clue why or what they mean. When one of the men (Tom) is investigating a murder that involves a man with one of the tattoos, he begins to wonder more about his own. He starts to track down the rest of ten people with tattoos and learn what they mean and who put them there.

The plot sounded awesome! But we figure out who these people are really early on on the novel, so that kind of kills all of the suspense. Not to mention the reason isn't even that good. I won't spoil it, but I'll just say that it wasn't anything I would have guessed and I didn't care to continue reading once I found out. But  I have a hard time putting down a book I've already started, so I toughed it out. There were a few more twists and turns throughout the novel, but everything kept getting more and more ridiculous (grated, the reasoning for the tattoos was pretty ridiculous as well). 

I'm just glad I got this book when it was free on Amazon the other day instead of actually paying for it. It was a huge letdown for what I was expecting. Don't go into this thinking it's going to be like a Jack Kilborn novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment