Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (CBR-III #49)



Cannonball Read III: Book #49/52
Published: 2006
Pages: 352 (189,449 total pages so far)
Genre: Fantasy


I actually read this book back in July, but was going over my list of books for Cannonball Read and realized that I never reviewed this one! This review might be short and/or vague since it's been six months or so since I actually read it.


The Book of Lost Things is sort an adult fairy tale. I love fantasy books and movies, so I found it to be pretty interesting. Twelve-year-old David is having a hard time with his father remarrying after the death of his mother, so he turns to books. The books whisper to him and eventually lead him to a secret passageway into a fantasy land complete with princes and kings and big bad wolves.


This was definitely more of a dark fairy tale -- not really for kids. If you prefer Grimm's version over the Disney version of fairy tales, you'd probably enjoy this book. Plus, if you were ever that kid who used books as an escape, David will really resonate with you and take you back to a time when books really came alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment