Friday, December 30, 2011

Triangles by Ellen Hopkins (CBR-III #52)



Cannonball Read III: Book #52/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 544 (190,458 total pages so far)
Genre: Fiction


If you've read my reviews before, you know I love Ellen Hopkins. She finally wrote an adult novel (she normally writes YA) and I've been really excited to read it. My only complaint is that the Kindle edition is going for $12.99! I really wish publishers would keep the price under $10. They're making mostly profit off of it anyways since there are no physical costs (ink, paper, etc.).

Triangles revolves around three women, all who are in entangled in some sort of extramarital affair. Holly has recently lost a lot of weight and enjoys the attention she is now getting from men. Usually it ends with some shameless flirting, but now she's delving deeper. Her best friend Andrea is a single mom with a teenage daughter who can't seem to find a decent guy to date...so she finds herself in bed with Holly's neglected husband. Andrea's sister, Marissa, finds out her husband has been cheating while she stays at home with her special needs daughter and deals with her son coming out as being gay.

I just love the drama in Ellen Hopkin's books. The poetic writing just flows off the page, making the 500+ page book seem much shorter. This book was everything I was hoping it would be. I'm glad Hopkins didn't tone it down for an adult audience -- she simply transferred the drama to more adult issues. 

Of course I still didn't have much to relate to with this book either. The teenage books are fun, but I'm 26 and can't really relate to 16-year-old drama anymore. This book was 30-something moms with teenage kids. Obviously not really my demographic either. However, I still really enjoyed the novel. I'm just hoping one day Hopkins decides to write a book about 20-somethings and their drama. I definitely hope she ventures more into the adult novels in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment