Thursday, December 29, 2011

Legend by Marie Lu (CBR-III #50)

Cannonball Read III: Book #50/52
Published: 2011
Pages: 305 (189,754 total pages so far)
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian


Legend takes place is a future Los Angeles that is part of the controlling government called the Republic, who is fighting a war against the Colonies (who want freedom). The book starts out going back and forth between two main characters who couldn't be more different. Day is from a poor family. He now lives on the street and is the most wanted terrorist against the Republic. June is a wealthy girl from the inner city who has strong ties to the military government. After her brother is killed, she goes on a quest to hunt down his killer -- who she is believes is Day. 


Eventually June and Day's paths cross and there is the requisite teenage romance, but it's not overbearing or irritating like in some YA novels. I thought the characters were well written and weren't one-dimensional. Their backstories were fleshed out and you actually got to know the characters.


However, this wasn't really my favorite novel. I  struggled to get through it because it was a little slow. The action parts were pretty good, but there seemed to be a lot of filler. I felt like some of the ideas that were brought up (such as the government conspiracy regarding the plagues) were really interesting, but only briefly mentioned. Also, I know it's nit-picky, but I thought the way June figured out her brother's code in his journals was a huge long shot. I mean, really? There is NO WAY anyone would ever crack that code, especially by accident.


Overall, I guess I was just expecting more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment