Saturday, December 1, 2012

Hilarity Ensues by Tucker Max (CBR-IV #46)

Cannonball Read IV: Book #46/52
Published: 2012
Pages: 448
Genre: Humor

Sigh. I don't even know where to start with this one. I read Tucker Max's first book when I was in college (roughly 5 years ago...eek!) and thought it was hilarious. The guy was an asshole, no doubt, but he owned it at least. The second book was okay. Funny, but it lost some the charm of the first book. This third book? Completely lost any charm that may have ever existed. 

It was basically the same thing as the first two books, only instead of listening to your roommate tell their drunk stories from last weekend, you're listening to the 35-year-old tell drunk stories from his "glory days" ten years ago.  At this point he's already told his best stories and he's grasping for anything he may have left untold.

The only redeeming parts of this book were Tucker's friends. They were always my favorite part of all of his books (especially Slingblade). I did enjoy the stories about them. I can't say I hated this book, just that it was a little disappointing. I'm not sure if that's due to Tucker growing up or due to me growing out of his stories and not really caring about anyone's drunk exploits anymore.

This is supposedly Max's last book of this sort. I'm kind of interested in what he writes next because it's obvious that he's very intelligent and a decent writer. I just hope it's a little less narcissistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment